Challinor helping Town staff to find new owner for Willmott House
Town of Milton Ward 2 Local Councillor John Challinor II, who also serves as President of Milton Historical Society in one of his volunteer capacities in the community, has offered to help Town staff find a new owner for the Willmott House, one of the community’s most historic and important rural residential properties.
Currently owned by the Town of Milton and located behind Milton Sports Centre, Rosehill Cottage, as it is formally known, or Willmott House, as it is referred to colloquially, was built in about 1835 by John and Rachel Willmott. It is a 19th Century, Regency-style, one-and-a-half story cottage with three distinct wings. It was completely renovated and carefully maintained in the 1980s and 1990s before its purchase by the Town.
A potential purchaser must be prepared to have the house moved from Milton Sports Centre to a new site at his or her own expense. While, because of its relatively low height and modest width, it is unlikely hydro wires or street or intersection infrastructure will need to be moved temporarily, a foundation will have to be built and hydro, water and sewer hook-up will need to be obtained at its new locale. Alternatively, the new owner could sensitively dismantle the house and store it offsite until it is determined where it is to be rebuilt.
Mr. Challinor welcomes all enquiries, as do Town staff, specifically Andy Scott, Director of Strategic Initiatives & Business Development. He can be reached at (905) 878-7211 or email@example.com. If an owner isn’t confirmed by late spring, Willmott House will be sensitively demolished and its most historic components salvaged for use elsewhere. CR